Sunday 29 March 2009

Always make a declaration

What a day! Phil S standing in for Will, a gin clear sky (at 9.00 BST), very bleary eyed (clocks going forward etc.) I figured that I might rig just in case. I helped get the club gliders out first as there was a BI course running and they needed the K13 for high tows. DIed the K21 and helped tow it out. Not many folk rigging, Ben and Barrie rigged Libby and Tim and Chris rigged HNC. As I reached the launch point a newish member needed a finishing lesson on how to use the winch. Well the sky still looked poor so why not? Only one launch needed so we dragged the cable back to the launch point only to discover that all the other winch driving pilots had gone for tea. Our new recruit was thrown in at the deep end and so I gave him a briefing on my launch and sent him back for his first unaccompanied launch. I waited for Ben to take an aerotow and then pushed on line for the winch. Away.... not bad for a first timer, 1000' before I released to prevent over speeding. Thermals were just building and I got to 2000' with no problems. From then it was charging around the market towns of Norfolk and a foray over the city at 4000'. A better pilot would have declared but I had a great time (4 hours and 17 minutes worth). Cloud base reached 5200' at times but cold feet defeated me in the end. What a marvelous day.