Sunday 15 March 2009

The Season Starts??

Sunday 15th March

A super day, half the club appeared to be out with a number of privateers rigging. A patient wait until 12.00 was rewarded with the sight of cumulus slowly developing in the Tibenham hole. Taking a launch at midday I almost paid the ultimate price, narrowly avoiding the fate of the next launch by hanging in the weakest of thermals as it developed. It took me the best part of an hour to reach 2000’ but once there the lift was 2-3 knots and by 13.30 went to 3300’. I spent most of the time in gliding range, just, with one or two excursions around turning points just beyond range. Streets formed later and I made Wymonham to Beccles with the loss of only 200’. I finished by spinning the 19 just to remind myself that the single-seater does recover when you do the right thing. Three hours seventeen minutes. Not bad for March, and RASP looks good enough for a proper cross-country on Saturday!

JohnR-K