Sunday 5 April 2009

That's more like it!

As I said "always make a declaration".

Will on duty, and as the morning progressed more pilots appeared. Having already done the monthly check on the winch, once again the ASW19 was rigged. A few others had done similarly: Ray; Paul W. ; Barry and Ben; Mark (the CFI); Des and Dave; Phil H; Phil S plus others I am sure I missed. A later start than planned, the sky took a while to get going, but Ray and I were off to christen the new version of The President's Triangle (TIB-DIS-PIC-NOE-TIB). Cunningly devised to be over 100km, away from the western stub projection of Norwich International Airport but close enough to remind them we have the right to be here (although we do live in harmony).
At about 14.07 I took a winch launch, and then again 10 minutes later, connecting this time. Ray was off first time and, given his speed had probably finished before I got to 3000'. I got round pretty briskly and took a thermal before finishing just to extend the flight time!
Great views over the city and a splendid inauguration. On landing a tired looking Ass Cat (Jan)asked if I would mind taking a trial. 16.30 and the sky was dying quickly but the trial had a great 30 minute flight. I derigged and set off for the committee meeting, a glorious end to a glorious day!
Art; you have to be in a glider by 14.00 if you are going to get that silver height, never mind the Tiger Moth. They don't need thermals (noisy, smelly, dirty, engined things!)