Thursday 6 May 2010

Three TPs and one BBG

Getting urgent that I get some practice in for the Regionals I came to Tibenham on Thursday 6th May with the hope that despite the wind and the cold there would be some good flying.

Locally cloudbase was a bit low at 3k however out towards Thetford another 1K could be had. Some of the thermals were 5 knots plus.

I declared RAT-EDE-NOE for 145klm and hopefully 1.5hours good fun. There were only four problems on the flight apart from a slight in cockpit accident which will wash out.

Rattlesden appeared in a matter of minutes however a voice said stay high at the TP and I immediately fell into a hole. A bit more press on and I expect the strong climb that took ages to find would have been there immediately. Once at cloudbase the run to Dereham into wind was nose down 70 knots and just keep going....really good fun...except for problem two. Out of the mist of cloudbase as I was going north a BBG [ bloody big glider] appeared going south. Fortunately I saw the glider and dived underneath it and took the number 13 [from Dunstable] as the fin passed by. What amazing gliders are EB28s and the wings go on for ever. Time I bought a FLARM I think.

Problem 3 was Dereham and another hole with time wasted followed by a great run to NOE and yes, problem four, another hole and onto final glide.

The lesson for the day is that TPs are bad ideas [or do they sort the men from the boys?].

Thought for the day was perhaps buy a FLARM before it is too late!

Advice from the day is that you should buy some CONFOR foam from Trelleborg [as per S&G]. I put blue foam in the seat cushion and pink foam on my spinal support and the foam made a world of difference. Expensive, yes, but if your cockpit is a bit uncomfortable this foam would be well worth a trial.

http://www.bgaladder.co.uk/dscore.asp?FlightID=25782


Peter Stafford Allen