Monday 16 May 2011

Soaring PNA - cheap price alert

I walked into PC world last week, and picked up a Navman Mio M400 for around £57. I just mention it here, as I think that they are probably selling them out, as they are no longer on the web site. It is cheaper than I have seen it anywhere online (typically over £70). The other ones they do sell are the Navman Mio M475 for £80. I am not sure if it is effectively the same model with TMC traffic device actually included.

It's a 4.3" PNA which can be cracked to use LK800, XCSoar or Seeyou Mobile on it's built in GPS.

Both XCSoar and LK8000 specifically target the device.

There is a review of it compared to various devices on the postfrontal (LK8000 support) forum here:
MIO M400 PNA, pictures compared with other units, which should give you a clue of other devices to consider.

It has serial port capability (in common with many other PNAs), so you can hook it up to your FLARM (to see where everyone else is & how well they are climbing, unless in stealth mode) or otherwise hook it up to a glide computer vario, e.g. LX 16xx, CAI 302) for real-time wind calculation, even in cruise.

I have not fiddled with my M400 yet, as I spent the weekend getting FLARM talking to my HP 314. It works a treat. I used a line level converter from glidertools.com, here. Note that their picture shows a Mio M400. A converter is required to get USB working at normal RS232 voltages. I will in due course get my M400 working too.

The converter is compatible with Oudie and Wayteq too.

IMI also make a converter, here. I have not tried it, but I found them very good to deal with when I got the new glider tow-bar.

No comments: