Wednesday 24 June 2009

Thanks Dave Masson and Ian.Yes it would have been a 5, if there was no wind

24th June. Easterly wind - fun and flatulence
Declared Honington (remote start)- Evesham -Honington 376 km, but outlanding at 246kms.

Today I should have flown to Perranporth. Unfortunately I could only skive off one day from work andI have to be in at 8 tomorrow.
Ian said "go to Talgarth today" and yes, this was probably possible in an Astir today.
My remote start at Honington was for speed and an achievable return point, but for a straight goal, tib start was ok as long as you don't mind cutting the "umbilical" at 2300 feet. By Garbodisham it was possible to find 3 knots to 3000 and I started at Honington at 3100.
What a run downwind!! Guess where my first thermalling turn was after start............... No try again!
It was Towcester, just north of Silverstone. 129km at 141 kph.
I really enjoyed watchingCambridgshire, Bedfordshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire and Warwickshire pass beneath. Shennington GC at Edgehill looked very attractive in the sunshine.
But as I passed into Worcestershire a change seemed to be afoot. I was unable to top up height going in to the turnpoint, even though good looking clouds were on track. First lift on return leg was rough and difficult and took me almost back to Evesham. The sky pattern had changed. There were no easy streets any more and progress into wind was painfully slow. Most of the thermals were smashed to bits. Wave influence was forming them up across wind.
I sruggled on to Turweston, but could not get high enough to pick the best path, and with wings covered in greenfly had to use the iron thermal.Flatulence!
If the earlier conditions had kept the same the task would have been possible, but on the way back sea air had killed most lift east of Cambridge and the inversion was noticeably lower. So maybe not.

Peter