Tuesday 28 July 2009

Summer Soaring Fortnight - Day 4

With the weather predicted as unstable with over-convection likely and breezy conditions (220/10-15kts @SFC) I briefed that there was likely to be a 3-4 hour soaring window with a 4000ft cloudbase and 'challenging' SW winds for XC. Tony G (DG300) and Berkley (K21) took off early and made the best of the day both doing just under 3 hours soaring. Tony managed to complete the 122.7km task of TIB-THE-MEN-BSE-TIB to 'win the day'. Jim Lawn relieved me from the tug and I decided to have a tow (about an hour and a half after Tony) and I got round Thetford but the day went splat as I got half way down the second leg and I turned North for TIB. Adrian flew his 19, and was not far behind me with a similar story. Still at least no-one landed out. Mick instructed in the K13. Over all I think that we got quite a lot out of a day that didn't really promise too much. Well done Tony!
..
In comparison the Dunstable Regionals A Class set a 112km task with only 4 competitors getting round!