Sunday 5 September 2010

Fantastic welcome at Crowland

I had heard of this thing that Norfolk Gliding Club have going with PSGC (Crowland); whereby you fly on a 'mission' to the 'other' club, depending on where you start from, to retrieve Snoopy.

Originally there was only Snoopy, but now there is a 'Percy the Penguin' involved, so that now the idea is to swap out the cuddly toys. It's been a while since a swap took place, so I telephoned PSGC to see if the arrangement was still current. I spoke to Annie Ewer, who was very welcoming and said that it would be great to see someone from our club.

There was a fair amount of spread-out over the top of Tibenham, so I got my tow earlier than I would have as Steve Brownlow had to be elsewhere in short order. He towed me out to the East where there was still some sun-light between the clouds - and the clouds were working. Norman Clowes joined me in '20', and we played about towards Bungay - waiting for the better weather to be blown further West.

After a while it did get better out to the west, and I was able to tip-toe to Crowland along with the wind. The welcome at Crowland was as even better than I expected. Y11 was towed out of the way, and I was plied with tea and cake, whilst Martin Ewer organised a launch, and Graham Morris towed me back half way in a Husky(I think). Unfortunately, the top cover had really settled in properly towards Thetford, and I ended up landing there on a large (it seemed to me) estate. The farmer was very helpful and put up with me boring him and his wife about clouds to the extent that he even drove me to his house and made me a cup of tea.

The photo shows 'Lars' standing (I think) in front of his Nimbus, holding the two cuddly toys. Snoopy due to come back with me, and Percy who was due to stay. Trusty Y11 sits in the distant background. Various folk at Crowland send their regards to various folk at NGC. I think both Bernard and Lars send regards to Woody & Bonnie. There were more good wishes, but unfortunately my tiny mind... er what was I saying?

Finally JRK, Will Day and Josh Brownlow came out to retrieve me, having just packed everything else away on site. As we got back to the glider, the noise of the car shooed off a small herd of deer. There were also many large hares in the various fields.

The whole experience was great. I would definitely recommend it. I am looking forward for someone to come from Crowland to pick up Snoopy, so that I can do it again. Thanks everyone from both clubs, and to the kind people from the farm for a fantastic day out.

1 comment: