Sunday 24 August 2008

Inter club Lesson on scrubbing 17 Aug

I knew Friday was going to be quite good, and Saturday not so good, so I took a day off work and fetched the DG and camping gear from Tibenham with Jane. MUCH activity there and signed Jan's declaration.
Difficult now to change plans, as flying from Tib would mean a long and fraught evening getting to Rattlesden, so continued to Rat, rigged and declared Rat-fin-eye- rat 319kms starting at about 1.30. As soon as I launched I realised this was the best day this year here,(8 knots to 4200 feet) so was expecting the fastest 300 of the year. It was over 95 kph on the upwind(23 kph wind) and crosswind, until I found myself too low at Northampton to fly straight across the city, planning to head towards Sywell then pick up the city thermals from that side. Then about 8kms from Sywell just to the right of my feet appeared a helicopter on collision course less than 200 metres away! Full left controls and he passed under my right wing within a second. I await the outcome of the airprox board, but the lesson is...."never trust power pilots to keep a lookout, and in the vicinity of airfields, if you are flying towards, then expect them to be head-on!"
Brains scrambled, I failed to pick up city lift and bumbled around in their ATZ until I made my engine landout.
Saturday was taskable, but strong south wind and Citabria tug meant no aerotows from Rat.(They need a Robin 400, xwind limits OK!) Scrubbed.
I launched but came back when there was no sun to the south. George flew his Discus round the task in a sunny slot 40 mins before me, but had a very marginal final glide!
Good barbecue and scores of club members turned up for the fun and beer.

Sunday.....wall to wall rain. Rebrief at 11. At 10.55 I heard it had been scrubbed. 12.05 out came the sun and I spent the next 3 hours totally drying out the camping gear, having lunch and packing up all except the glider, which had dried itself .
4pm set off with declared Rat-Grl-Gab-Rat. Good flight! 169 kms at 83 kph with a start at 4.20pm. So the comp. could easily have been a 300 for pundits and 250 intermediate, 200 novice.
Happy flying.... off to Aboyne for UKMSC

Peter